Monday, September 17, 2012



This week God has led me to a sad situation.  A woman who is in her late 20's came to the hospital with her 10 month old son.  This woman is mentally ill and has been in and out of the hospital for the past 2.5 years.  She has no family.  She had the baby with a married man and he wants nothing to do with her or the baby.  Her family does not understand mental illness so she has been beaten and not taken care of.  It is difficult for her to take care of her child.  Some days she wants the baby and other days she doesnt. When she is unwell she has talked of throwing her baby out the window or cutting off his ears.  Thankfully, the baby appears to be healthy.

In Nepal there is no such thing as child protection. The police are aware of her situation but there is really nothing one can do. You can't just take someone's child away.  There is no public social safety net to help this mother or her baby.

The mission hospital has been wonderful and they have been helping her care for the baby. I am trying to figure out how I can help this baby and mother.  I would like to be involved in caring; however, what happens when we leave in December? The baby gets attached to me and then I leave?  This is such a hard situation.  A few times now I brought the baby to my house to give him a bath and I gave him a few of Winslow's clothes.  He also took a long nap on my chest, which was nice.  I'm sure he felt calm and relaxed after a warm bath and fresh clothing.

Today I went to check on the mother and baby.  They have been discharged, but the hospital is allowing them to stay in a small room behind the hospital.  This is a block of rooms where leprosy patients used to stay.  Once I found where this woman is living I couldn't believe my eyes. The room (her home) was tiny! It has a single bed and small stove top with a few pots and pans.  Both mother and baby were sleeping on a mattress with no blanket.  Difficult living circumstances.   I went out and bought some baby soap, baby clothes and diapers. I showed the helper how to bath the baby in a basin and how to use the diapers. I also brought a few toys.  A staff member's niece will be helping with the baby during this week (hopefully longer).  The hospital is seeking to find a donor to pay for someone to continue watching the baby.  The cost- $2.50 per day.  May not seem like much to you and I, but it is a lot for people in Nepal.
Living quarters 
Before a bath.

All fresh and sleepy after a warm bath.


I feel heartbroken today.  I don't know what to do. This is probably the saddest thing I have ever seen.
I went to speak with pastoral care services to find out what can be done.   For the past year they have been trying to create a home for people with mental illness. This woman is an outcast of her community just like the lepers who dwelled in her room previously.  "There came a leper to him" Mark 1:40.  Jesus welcomed the outcasts when others wouldn't.  This home will be located just outside the hospital to welcome the outcasts.  They would provide these people with a small job, vocational training if feasible, spiritual support, a nurse, food, clothing, water, etc.  Funding has been an obstacle.  The pastoral care team has put together a thorough and efficient proposal.  The goal as of now is to find funding for one year.  The budget for everything would be roughly $10,000.  This includes the building, rooms for 6-8 people, food, clothing, bedding, kitchen supplies/appliances, telephone, rent, nursing care and an administrator. Sometimes the greatest pain of illness (particularly mental illness) is rejection and abandonment by family and friends.  This Christian home would be a safe community for mentally ill people.

Donation directions. It would be easiest to go through the hospital website.
 www.tansenhospital.org
On the left click "supporting UMHT"
On the left click "donations-financial and equipment"
On the bottom of the page "Giving financially-US residents"
There are a few methods for donations.
Please email Tansen.umn.org.np stating that this money is for pastoral care services. "New Life Rehab Center"
You can also email me to make sure everything went through. Andrea.kane3@gmail.com

Thank you so much for your time.

If you or someone you know what like to donate please contact me via Facebook or at andrea.kane3@gmail.com.  Every penny counts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment